Picture Primer Photo Tips
Originally published in the Voice of Pelham, April 24th, 2013
We have so much amazing technology available to us in our digital lifestyle but there are still some parts that deserve to be brought “offline”, such as pictures. Think about it for a minute — how romantic is it to sit behind a computer screen with your fiancé and look at your engagement pictures? Or how nostalgic is it to sit on the couch with your kids and a laptop to flick through family pictures? Not very.
Many consumers today wait months before finally printing their pictures, and so when they do print them, the “magic” of the moment is gone. That’s why I recommend printing your pictures frequently and in smaller batches. Here are the 5 benefits of printing often:
- The memories are fresh in your mind. Do you remember in the “film days” when you would come home from a vacation and rush out to the local photo lab to develop your film? You’d pay extra for the one-hour turnaround so that you could look at them once you got home even before you’d unpack. It was exciting and fun, and the memories were fresh in your head.
- It’s obvious that printing more frequently is much less work than doing it in bulk a couple of times each year. You’re more likely to look to through the prints, put them on display and into albums if you have less to sift through. After all, no one wants to put a picture from Christmas up on the fridge in July!
- You can share the prints right away while the memories are fresh. You don’t want to bring vacation pictures over to a friend’s house from six months ago. If you bring over the pictures the day you get back from your vacation, you have something visual to show while you tell all the fun stories from the trip.
- There is less of a chance that the memory card will go corrupt or that you’ll loose the digital pictures if you print them more often.
- One of our favorite things to do after the holidays, a trip or a get-together is to print duplicate copies of some of the pictures for friends and/or family who are in the pictures as well. We love to give them to them within 3-4 days so that they can enjoy the pictures while the memories are fresh in their minds.
As we go through our day-to-day lives, remember to take lots of pictures and print them often!